The different Hawaiian salts with their distinctive colours reflect the colours of the country - black for the volcanic origins, red for the ever-present holy Alaea earth and for freedom, green for the lush vegetation
Black Lava Sea Salt – Healt Benefits
Hawaiian black lava salt is mainly sodium chloride, like any other salt used in the kitchen. Its health benefits are almost the same as other forms of salt. The health benefits of black lava salt thanks to activated charcoal include mainly:
Common uses of black lava salt
- Regulating fluid in the body: Sodium helps regulate the body's level of hydration. The sodium and water balance are closely related.
- Improves brain function: Sodium can significantly affect brain function, and sodium deficiency often manifests as confusion. If you have low levels of sodium in your body, increasing salt intake can help improve mental clarity.
- Helps with muscle cramps: Muscle cramps are often caused by an electrolyte imbalance that can be restored by increasing sodium intake.
- Helps to remove toxins: activated charcoal is often the first treatment used for various types of poisoning because of its well-documented ability to remove toxins from the body.
- Works on premature aging: Activated charcoal can help maintain adrenal health as well as protect kidney and liver cells.
- Also helps with bloating: Activated charcoal can bind to food ingredients that cause gas, preventing bloating.
Thanks to the size of the salt grains, using it as a finishing salt will provide a visually effective presentation, but also improve the texture of the served dish. The dark color of black salt can give an interesting look when applied to light dishes such as fish or chicken, or when sprinkled on salads.
Black lava salt is coarse, so it's best to use it as a finishing salt. Using it for cooking can give dishes an unpleasant gray color or create streaks in dishes.